Cold winters, now and then

Last winter I spent a lot of time wishing it was colder. Mild weather made the ice mushy, and I idealized the frosty conditions that would lead to a perfect rink.

This winter I got what I wished for. The ice rinks have been in excellent shape. But just getting home from work without hypothermia seemed like a triumph some days. (I exaggerate, but not by much.) Summoning the energy to leave my cosy house to voluntarily spend time in arctic weather was daunting. I wondered if I should start a new blog called the Great Hibernation Project.

Now the days are getting lighter and the cold snap is easing. My Great Skate adventure isn't over yet! This weekend, I'll be looking for a new rink to skate on in Orillia.

Until then, here are some photos of my grandmother, taken when she was in her late teens, enjoying a frosty day of skating in North Bay. (I miss you, Grandma!)



This snapshot was taken in 1941.























There's no date on this photo. Love the mittens!





















The last two photos are both from 1942.




















Read More: Skating Memories From My Childhood




Comments

Popular Great Skates

Great Skate #21 - Greenwood Park (renovated)

Great Skate #7 - Ryerson Community Park

Great Skate #34: Love Crescent Parkette

Great Skate #1 - Barbara Ann Scott Rink

Great Skate #33: Gage Park, Brampton