At the Murray Street rink again

By happy chance, my parents live just a short walk away from the Murray Street Park rink in Orillia. After discovering it for Great Skate #9, it has become familiar territory.

A woman wearing ice skates on an outdoor rink, seen from the knees down
Mum isn't keen on the photo, so
here are just her legs in skates.
I was able to skate there twice this month. The first time, my mother joined me. I have photos to prove it.

I thought mum was very brave to try skating again after many years off the ice. She was dismayed at how unsteady she felt, but made it to one side of the rink and back again.

I was impressed. Mum was not. "I can't believe it, I thought it would be like riding a bike." (The question arises, when was the last time mum was on a bike?)

The next weekend, the entire family was up for a visit. We headed to the rink on Sunday morning, fired up about Canada's gold-medal men's hockey game.

This time my dad was brave enough to put his skates on. No photographic evidence this time, but he made it about as far - and felt just as unsteady - as my mum did the previous weekend. The lesson here, I think, is to never stop skating. Use it or lose it.

A woman and two young girls skate around a lineup of boots on an outdoor rink
An obstacle course of boots added to the challenge fun.

A woman skates with a small girl on an outdoor rink
Me and the youngest skater on the ice:
my niece who is now Four.

A man and a woman pretend to be Olympic figure skaters on an outdoor ice rink
My sister and brother-in-law,
inspired by the skill and grace of Virtue and Moir.

Comments

Popular Great Skates

Great Skate #21 - Greenwood Park (renovated)

Great Skate #7 - Ryerson Community Park

Great Skate #34: Love Crescent Parkette

Great Skate #1 - Barbara Ann Scott Rink

Great Skate #33: Gage Park, Brampton