Great Skate #14 - Fairmount Park

It's a new year, and a new chance to enjoy outdoor skating!

The goals of my Great Skate Project are simple: try to skate on a different outdoor rink each weekend, and encourage as many friends and family members to join me as possible.

Great Skate #14 - the first Great Skate of 2013, on New Year's Day - was a quiet one. Unlike last year, the weather was perfect for skating: cold and sunny, with lots of snow on the ground. I wasn't feeling ambitious, so I headed for Fairmount Park, not too far from where I live.

On my way there, I ran into my friend Mike. When I told him where I was headed, he told me he's one of the "ice masters" who volunteer their time to keep Fairmount's two natural ice rinks maintained. Way to go, Mike!


This photo shows one of the rinks. The other one is right next to it, but it isn't surrounded by boards. There's a picnic table and lights, but that's it.

Wondering why this rink is so empty on such a perfect day for skating? The weather hasn't been very cold for very long, and the condition of the ice reflects that. There was just the thinnest frozen layer over the grass below. It was possible to skate on it, but just barely. I spent about 20 minutes doing hesitant loops around the rink, making sure to avoid the dodgy bits. I'll check back in a few weeks to see if the rink conditions improve.

Comments

Popular Great Skates

Great Skate #21 - Greenwood Park (renovated)

Great Skate #7 - Ryerson Community Park

Great Skate #34: Love Crescent Parkette

Great Skate #1 - Barbara Ann Scott Rink

Great Skate #33: Gage Park, Brampton