Great Skate #12 - High Park

I think my phone call to Nicole and Gilles on Saturday afternoon sounded something like this:

"This is the last weekend for the High Park rink! We need to go skating right now! I can get there in an hour! You need to come too! Right now!"

Keen as they are on the Great Skate Project, Nicole and Gilles weren't able to drop everything to join me. But Nicole agreed to squeeze in a skate on Sunday, February 26, and we made a date to meet at the rink at 11am for Great Skate #12. (Then I headed out to accomplish Great Skate #11.)

It was a brilliantly sunny morning, colder than it had felt in a while. I was sorry I hadn't brought sunglasses to cut down the glare from the ice.

The High Park rink is a double pad, and while I was there one side was being used for children's skating lessons. Next door is the outdoor pool, closed for the season of course. Nearby are some tennis courts, which were in use. It's been that kind of winter.

I got there early and kept warm by skating until Nicole showed up.

I had hoped to do a special feature on Nicole's super-duper, high-tech-circa-1980, "molded" ice skates for this blog. But she arrived without her skates. A running injury was still nagging her, and it wasn't worth the risk of making it worse by skating. So we marked Great Skate #12 with a good chat on the rinkside bench, while skaters glided and tumbled past us.
Mural at the High Park rink.



Comments

Popular Great Skates

Great Skate #21 - Greenwood Park (renovated)

Great Skate #7 - Ryerson Community Park

Great Skate #34: Love Crescent Parkette

Great Skate #1 - Barbara Ann Scott Rink

Great Skate #33: Gage Park, Brampton